As my Jordan year on this earth approaches, I realize I am full fledged adult.
*cues dramatic piano*
With this epiphany, I realized there are many things I can't do anymore and things that are not acceptable anymore. So here it goes...23 things, you have to let go when you turn 23.
- You have to start carrying a real wallet. No more putting your card, metro card, and health insurance card in the pocket of your jeans, coat, or purse. This is how you lose things, and it makes unnecessary chaos.
- You must start carrying your insurance card with you at all times. Okay guys, let's face it. You do not know what will happen to you. It's time to be responsible people.
- Speaking of responsible, you have to actually start putting money in your savings account and STOP taking money out when you want to buy new shoes or a new game.
- It's time to learn how to budget if you haven't learned so already. You really can't spend money frivolously anymore and hope your parents have your back. Download the app, Mint. (Disclaimer: Be Prepared for a rude awakening)
- Situations won't change unless you get up and change them yourselves. Sitting there hoping things will change, won't change things. So get up and get moving.
- Create habits you hope to develop into later adulthood. Steps you want to take in order to become the person you want to become. Whether that be...taking yoga every week, finding a home church AND going every Sunday...or volunteer more.
- Christmas is coming up...that means it is no longer acceptable to not buy your parents presents. It's time. Stop being a cheapo. Fork over the dough.
- With becoming adult, it is time to start handling situations like one. That means not cursing to prove a point, no more yelling, but actually finding solutions instead of trying to prove a point.
- Remember when you used to get shwasted every weekend? How did you feel after Homecoming weekend? Tired...sick...fell asleep midday...all the above? You know why...YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE! Give up the lifestyle ...leave it to the 22 and under crowd. You can't hang anymore. It's cool, just accept defeat.
- With going out every weekend, you have to stop just dating/ hooking up with anyone and anybody for the heck of it. One, you could catch something. Two, you could get pregnant or get someone pregnant. Three, you could die (Mean Girls joke). Okay, not die but you have to start dating for serious rather than for the heck of it.
- If you don't know your Social Security number by filling out all those annoying college applications or W-9's, then you MUST learn by now. It's a must.
- Btw. It's time to start worrying about your credit score. This score can stop you from a lot of things aka buying a house, getting a loan, or a lower phone bill. No one wants bad credit...it sucks. So go get a free credit check and get your credit right, bro.
- Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one. My point? If someone didn't ask for it, do not give it. I know it's hard when your friend is making the stupidest decision known to mankind, just keep quiet until they ask you for your opinion.
- All those critiques you have been receiving from friends, family, or your boss sounding the same or pretty similar? Maybe you need to look at the mirror and take a hard look at yourself. Everyone needs to be critiqued here and there. It does us all a little good.
- Stop holding on to grudges. Not for the other person or people, but really for yourself and your mental health. Don't waste your energy on wasteful things.
- Eat healthy and exercise. You aren't the crypt keeper, but you aren't a new babe. It's time to take care of your skin, body, and overall health. Kayne Workout Plan if you need to.
- You have to start spending your money on quality food, furniture, electronics, and clothing. It benefits you to buy things that will last longer.
- Grown up language...aka 401K. Yup it's time to learn what that all means. Sucks, but it's time.
- Not everyone has your best interest at heart. You don't have to be mean and ruthless, but trusting everyone isn't okay anymore. It's okay that everyone is not your friend or doesn't like you. Just keep your personal life to yourself. Envy is a big, dangerous green monster.
- Listen to your elders. Is it eery how all the things your parents or grandparents said are coming to pass? Well, listen up man! They won't be around forever, so gather that knowledge.
- Twitter followers and IG requests shouldn't run your world. Realize that person-to- person interactions are more important than the latest iPhone or IG likes.
- Regret is silly. Instead having those regrets, ask yourself, "What have you learned?" Turn every awful situation into a learning lesson, no matter how painful it may be at the time.
- You feel like you have to have it all figured out right now...(even I do), but I realized you don't have to have it all figured out. Shocker I know. Just take each day with stride and live it to the fullest.
Welcome to the freshman year to adulthood...made the odds be ever in our favors.